Your perception of other League 2 teams

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
Carlisle: Seem like a hardy, close-knit tribe of northmen. Not to be trifled with. But I assume that no one else bothers going to up to Winterfell either, so maybe they're just content to let us think that whilst they sit snugly in front of their log fires watching Silent Witness. I dislike their fans, and by that I mean the ones who post on here.

Ah well I wouldn't think any of you toffs would fancy coming all the way up here from Oxford, probably piss so many people off you'd end up getting your hand chopped off or something and who could blame us?

So I assume I'm one of the fans you dislike then? :dry:

ThisTinpotLeague

Reaction score
Supports
Oxford
Ah well I wouldn't think any of you toffs would fancy coming all the way up here from Oxford, probably piss so many people off you'd end up getting your hand chopped off or something and who could blame us?
What I hear when you threaten me over the internet:

Carver

Reaction score
Supports
Carlisle Utd
Accrington: Smallest club in the division so I hate to see them do better than us but got to give them credit and they are northern so that's always good for us.

AFC Wimbledon: Like em and I wish them well on their good run but I think that they'll run out of steam soon.

Barnet: Not really liked them in the past but they're nowhere near us at the moment so I don't mind them, think they'll never get any higher than this league ever.

Bristol Rovers: Fairly big sized club about the same as ours and a bit like us in terms of being way behind in stadium development. They're alright.

Cambridge: I like them for some reason, maybe because they were out the league for so long and I like the club colours, good fans too. Oh and a great 4-4 match up here which I'll never forget!

Carlisle: Well we're one of the bigger clubs in this league with probably the best pitch by far which allows football to be played on properly, just a shame our stadium is not as good to match it.

Crawley: Some non league club who got rich and bought they're way up here, but now they're just bang average.

Dagenham: Don't mind seeing a southern club get relegated, especially one who we always lose to at their place! I like how they quickly established themselves as a league club tho. Nice ground too.

Exeter: Their manager seems like a nice guy but I seriously can't stand the way he dresses. Different yes but a bit over the top especially with that stupid hat he wears. Think it's time they moved on from Tisdale.

Hartlepool: When they're doing shit I love them and love to laugh and take the piss out of them, but when they do well which is only once in every blue moon they can be pretty annoying. I must say though that I'd like them to do better than what they are, even if they are our nearest rivals.

Leyton Orient: What the hell happened to them? On the brink of getting to The Championship then it all goes wrong, let me guess, crazy foreign owner?

Luton: Had a quiet season, thought they'd of been up there but obviously not gone well for them has it?

Mansfield: Got a soft spot for them and I hope they make the play offs.

Morecambe: Even though they're northern I just think they're a very dull club with hardly any fans who do not yet seem to have the internet.

Newport: I used to like them but since they always beat us and they have an awful pitch which should not be allowed to ever be played on I dislike them very much, but their fans are ok. :)

Northampton Town: I'm still jealous of them doing so well after thinking they would be a nothing team this season, but you've got to congratulate them on getting it right. I just hope they don't waste it away and come straight back down from L1.

Notts County: Big club, big stadium, big squad, big players, but big ego's. That's why they're struggling down in L2 and having the world's most fickle fans and trigger happy owners does not help either. Total mess of a club.

Oxford: Deluded fans who think that hitting the bar in the last minute makes you the better team even though you had the same amount of shots as us. Tinpot is their most arrogant towards us and one or two of the other fans on here are cocky little twits too. :lac:

Plymouth: Kind of remind me of our own fans and we have this longest journey challenge which we've made a few friends from. :)

Portsmouth: Massive club for this division and just shows what can happen to a big club that is not run and looked after properly, but their fans are a decent lot and just get on with it.

Stevenage: Without Westley they are nothing and we usually beat them so one match I like to look forward too. :bg:

Wycombe: Probably my most hated club in this division and especially that simpleton fan of theirs who posts on here. I dunno but Wycombe to me are a club who look bigger than what they actually are, they have a nice stadium, seem to attract good players every now and then and they are usually doing well and high up in the league even when they have to resort to dirty play and cheating. I just want us to beat them so badly! The last match we would of won if it wasn't for some screw up in the last minute.

Yeovil: I've always like them and have considered them a close respected rival over the years since we were in L1 with them, however it turned feisty after our FA Cup encounter! :gr:

York: The only northern team I would like to see get relegated if it came to it, we never beat them do we? Even when they're down to 10 men and we're 2-0 up. :ffs:

Last edited:

BeesKnees

Reaction score
Supports
Barnet FC
Must have been your last game in league 1 then in early 90s possibly 93-94 season assumed we relegated you as lots of tears, though think you won so possibly other results went against you? Was at Twerton Park.

We played you with ten games to go, Can't see how that would be the game that relegated us.
I went to every game that season and as far as I was concerned relegation was irrelevant as we hadnt expected to even start the season. The only tears I saw shed were those of joy that the club still existed.

rudebwoyben

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
We played you with ten games to go, Can't see how that would be the game that relegated us.
I went to every game that season and as far as I was concerned relegation was irrelevant as we hadnt expected to even start the season. The only tears I saw shed were those of joy that the club still existed.
We were relegated at Burnley with about 8 matches to go that season.

rudebwoyben

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
Accrington Stanley: Marvellous what they're achieving although their pitch is a bog and the ground has a makeshift feel about it.

AFC Wimbledon: gotta like a club sponsored by Championship Manager; also a heartening tale that shows that fans can make a difference. Will be glad when they leave Kingsmeadow though.

Barnet: we aren't that far behind Carlisle Utd you know.

BRovers: That fake rivalry we started last season was fun but it has to stop and there's no way that winning the play-offs is a better feeling than winning the league at home. Mind you, always preferred to City as quartered shirts are hella cool. Had an amazing pasty when I went there.

Cambridge Utd: everything feels proper there: proper ground in a city with proper fans and a proper history. Just move that pitch closer to the away end!

Carlisle Utd: so far away, maybe their loneliness was why another fake rivalry arose between us and them.

Crawley Town: The stench of Evans and Raynor still lingers on. Horrible nothing club with a bell-ringing twat in the main stand.

Dagenham & Redbridge: always liked them, especially when they beat Oxford Utd to the Conference Championship. Merged from about 6 clubs but most of their fans are from the original Dagenham FC.

Exeter City: Envy that they have such a nice big home terrace. Just sort out that away end.

Hartlepool Utd: physically and metaphysically, feels a million miles away from London.

Leyton Orient: My local club. Feel like they've been battling against the odds since forever so I feel a bit of kinship with them. John Sitton's halftime dressing room meltdowns.

Luton Town: A place that reeks of ugliness, mind you that's very effective in creating an intimidating football ground. We are linked together by the Stein brothers.

Mansfield Town: also ugly but without the history that Luton have. We did get our first ever football league win against them.

Morecambe: not a place I'm ever likely to visit. Their club badge is awful.

Newport County: our FA Cup defeat to them spoiled our perfect record of P3 W3 F17 A3. Nice to see another team play in Amber and black. Also have regard for Newport given their Chartist and Rebecca Riot history. We both fondly remember Yaks and Byrne.

Northampton Town: I just really dislike their dated Meccano ground. Jason Puncheon destroyed them single-handedly for us in an FA Cup tie back in 2006.

Notts County: A club that always seems to be having a nervous breakdown, where's the sugar baby?

Oxford Utd: that photo of Malcolm Shotton lifting the League Cup trophy wearing that ox cap is iconic but otherwise I can't stand them for the reasons people have stated above.

Plymouth Argyle: I like the fact they play in green. Far away, so don't affect us.

Portsmouth: grand old club in a grand old ground, which reminds me of when I started going to matches in the 80s. The city of Portsmouth feels like it should be in the north of England.

Stevenage: A massively downmarket version of us. Westley is a bellend but gave them colour. Without them, they don't have enough identity for them to be proper rivals of us.

Wycombe: slightly envious of them as they've established themselves as a proper league club. Cool quartered shirts again and a lovely view of the Chilterns from the away end. Roy Essandoh played for us too and was shite.

Yeovil: Used to be big Southern League and Conference rivals of us but now feel very far away from us. Sounds like the most difficult ground in the country to get to.

York City: I'm glad I'm going to Bootham Crescent before they move and turn this into an away day as enticing as Oxford's.
In 92/93 we lost 1 home league match. That was to York City and was...5-1!

Optogas

Reaction score
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We were relegated at Burnley with about 8 matches to go that season.
Yeah I checked too, guess the guys I saw outside crying were just upset to lose 5-2 or was the last chance on their eyes as 21 points with 9 to go is pretty much down

Amber Nectar

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town
Mansfield Town: also ugly but without the history that Luton have. We did get our first ever football league win against them.

No history? The club is only 119 years old and only play as the oldest professional football ground in the world!!!!

Brooksy

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
WTF? That's the second time someone has not included Carlisle, fuck off. :fing:

We do exist you know.

... and I for one am really glad that Carlisle United exist. Especially this season when we were so desperate for points.

rudebwoyben

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Barnet
No history? The club is only 119 years old and only play as the oldest professional football ground in the world!!!!
I didn't know that although I remember when Northwich Victoria held that distinction. Have you been at Field Mill for 119 years?

Amber Nectar

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield Town

Brooksy

Reaction score
Supports
Newport County
I see Deano is heading up the consortium that is going to 'save' Bolton Wanderers (after a spectacularly bad managerial career). David Holdsworth last heard of at Goole according to Wiki.

Hope you make the play-offs after the last couple of seasons of struggle. If you do, there may be some hope for us next season. Feaney seems to be a decent young managerial prospect as does Murray.

AmbiguousBon

Reaction score
Supports
Yeovil Town
Accrington: A well run club consistently over-performing. Coleman's a knob though.

Barnet: Giuliano Grazioli. Tinpot champions often found wanting in this league, like a poor man's West Brom.

Bristol Rovers: Massive inferiority complex with a penchant for punching (horses, opposition players) and premature pitch invasions. They don't care much for us, definitely no rivalry though...

YEOVIL

Shitty little sunday league side that have been trying to make a rivalry with us for years but always fail.

Yeovil Town: Wow where to start, middle of nowhere, yokel shitfest genuine hell on earth no redeeming features at all except it means your nearly at the coast as you drive(quickly) through it. Non league upstarts hopefully soon to return, you bring nothing to the league and won't be missed

http://www.westerngazette.co.uk/Yeo...eat-provoked/story-21023580-detail/story.html

Cambridge: What might have been. Hoof.

Carlisle: A decent ground/city when not resembling Atlantis. Mighty impressive negotiation skills to make us take Mark Beck of their hands.

Crawley Town: Giving plucky non-leaguers a bad name with their Steve Evans managed bankrolled success. Spunked their FA cup money on a marquee stand. Literally.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Merger most foul. Would be disappointed to see them drop but I'm still annoyed they did the double over them in League 1.

Exeter City: Our Devonian brothers, I'm a big fan. Great city. Adam Stansfield. Run by the fans, bringing though local youth. Welly lad done good Nichols (even though he went to Courtfields). Tisdale. What's not to like? Apart from the away end of course...

Hartlepool: Conference stalwarts in waiting. Denying us a place in the Football League circa 1927-1980.

Leyton Orient: Got to respect their fans with West Ham on their doorstep. Fellow Russell Slade play-off failures.

Luton: Plenty of negative hearsay about them. Can't disagree. Their fans loving complimenting their own away attendances.

Mansfield: Matt Green beat the 100 metre record at Birmingham don't you know?

Morecambe: Nice pies, terrible crowds. Bentley seems a typical scouser.

Newport: We took Sam Foley from them and for that I will always be grateful. Their ground/beach looks every inch a rugby ground (unsurpringsly).

Northampton:
If you looked up the definition of nondescript there would be a picture of Northampton there. Trying their very best to change that this season.

Notts County: Old Lady of English football. Apparently are partial to trolling.

Oxford: Imagine having to have a pre-match pint in a bowling alley. 6-1.

Plymouth:
Fellow Green Army-ers, though theirs is more a shade of algae. Consistently punching below their weight. Paul Wotton is a personal hero of mine.

Portsmouth: Genuine big boys. Shame their players can't seem to handle the pressure of a big crowd. Fans don't seem to like each other much, they've started fights with each other in both games vs us this season. Drawing with little old Yeovil is hard to take to be fair.

Stevenage: Graham 'medal winner' Westley provided some interesting stories - albeit this one while at Farnborough:

'Not only was Westley accused of using foul and abusive language against an assistant referee - he was also ejected from the ground by Dorset Police after getting involved in a scuffle in the main stand after refusing to adhere to ground safety regulations.'

Wimbledon: Holier-than-thou. Feel for Kingstonian.

Wycombe Wanderers: The fact they beat us this season show how poor we've been. We ALWAYS beat Wycombe.

York City: The best away-day in country. If they could stay up at Hartlepool's expense that would be great.

TommoCUFC

Reaction score
Supports
Cambridge United
Accrington - fair play to them. No idea how they do what they do, but a very good side this season.

Barnet - decent London away day. Never got to go to Underhill but I imagine it had more character than their new ground which is a bit lifeless. Decent enough little club.

Bristol Rovers - big club, great fans. Ginger twat upfront.

Cambridge - we're alright. Average side, decent set of fans and a decent ground. Frustrating to support.

Carlisle - a long way away. Quite like them as a club though, had a really good away day for that 4-4 there earlier in the season, ridiculous game.

Crawley - Steve Evans. Tinpot. Terrible away, awful little club with terrible fans but always beat us.

Dagenham - going to be sorry to see them go, enjoyed visiting Dagenham, but same as Accrington, it's a wonder how they've managed to sustain League Two (and briefly League One) football for as long as they have.

Exeter - beat us at Wembley, horrible day. Fairly similar clubs though, admire their stability. Good fans, looking forward to playing them on Saturday.

Hartlepool - crap side, but who doesn't love away games in grim Northern holes with ridiculously cheap beer.

Leyton Orient - M11 derby, best away game of the season (ever?) this season. Proper club, proper ground and proper fans. Really enjoyed our games over the years, hope for many more to come.

Luton - not rivals. Big club with annoying fans, but similar to Orient, a proper club and ground which I like going to. See you next season chaps.

Mansfield - meh. Never really notice they exist until we play them. Solid league two side.

Morecambe - irrelevant, next.

Newport - our best home performance of last season. My opinion of them went down a bit after their antics at the Abbey when Tom Champion was down injured.

Northampton - always see this as a pretty big game. Glad to see them doing well, would've hated it if they'd gone bust. We always win at Sixfields. Oh, and we hate 'boro more than you.

Notts - proper club, really looking forward to a day out in Nottingham later on in the season. Bit of a laughing stock at the moment, hopefully that sorts itself out and they can be really truely proper again soon. Roy Carroll's assist for Ben Williamson's arse goal was brilliant at the Abbey.

Oxford - terrible, terrible away day. I feel like the whole Varsity Derby thing should be a lot bigger than it is really. Big club with some excellent players, more than likely go up this season.

Plymouth - another of League Two's 'sleeping giants'. Always remember our first game back in the league vs Plymouth. Plymouth 1-2 Algae, though, obviously.

Portsmouth - enormous club for this level, but their XI definitely doesn't look out of place here. Looking forward to playing them next season.

Stevenage - chavs. Always lose away there, always score late winners at home to them. Annoying club, but I suppose we are their cup final.

Wimbledon - I think I'll like them a lot more when they've got a decent ground. Something about them really annoys me, probably the tinpot feel that their ground gives them. Admire their fans and what they've done over the years, fair play to them getting to where they are. Bog standard League Two side though, they'll stay down.

Wycombe - Solid league two club. Really nice ground I thought, but a bit far away from anything. They're winning 1-0 again on Tuesday night. Ainsworth is a horrible, dirty manager, but he tends to get the job done.

Yeovil - meh. Long way away, I have no intention of ever going to Yeovil away. Think they'll probably stay up this season. Fairly irrelevant club, somewhere in between Morecambe and Hartlepool in terms of relevance.

York - really like them. Honestly hope they stay up. Quality away day, was gutted I couldn't make it this season. Always feel we're pretty similar clubs really. Best of luck to them.

rudebwoyben

Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Supports
Barnet

"National exposure for Field Mill was gained in November 1998 with the first match ever played with a new yellow fluorescent ball. The Stags beat Barnet 5-0, featuring a Lee Peacock hat-trick, and there was second half commentary on BBC Radio 5 Live."
I remember that. How cruel to expose listeners of 5 Live to horrible Stillball.

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe
Accrington: One of those clubs that seems to exist largely to give everyone who does their pre-season predictions and can't work out who to stick in the relegation spots a lifeline. And year in, year out, they confound expectations. Macc used to play "the Accrington role" until they ruined it and got relegated, now it seems like Accy might ruin it and leave the division, but through the wrong exit. Tsk, Northerners.

AFC Wimbledon:
I like them, though I doubt it's reciprocal. Good old-school ground, and run within their means

Barnet:
Don't have much time for Mad Dog, but otherwise I like the club. Sadly they seem to have stopped honouring the club tradition of recruiting players with great hair (Anthony Charles, Tresor "Big Trev" Kandol) in honour of their rhyming slang name. Used to like Fairclough as well as he could consistently be relied upon to come out with some real tripe in the post-match comments. I think we were their first home fixture back in the Football League, although they didn't seem to make any sort of effort to celebrate their return - odd.

Bristol Rovers:
Couldn't care less for the supposed "rivalry" and anyone who thinks this is one needs to get a life. Interested to see how the new sugar daddies work out, but these things tend to be far from a foregone conclusion for success, Posh did quite well off the back of theirs for a while but League One is hardly the promised land.

Cambridge:
Not much of an impression really, I remember Lionel Perez, their comedy Tarzan keeper, from the early 00s.

Carlisle:
Not that roving money-men are a good thing by any means, but you have to think that Carlisle are one of the best candidates for one, being a club with a big catchment area with no competition. I remember going out there in the evening in November after a game and thinking how sodding freezing all the local girls must be in their short skirts with the Arctic temperature.

Crawley:
Fatboy Evans springs to mind though I know he's no longer with the club. Unfortunately I haven't been able to get to the ground when we've played them but will make it eventually. Oh and yet another League 2 club that Matty 'Arrold has found his way to.

Dagenham:
Spit 'n' sawdust, will be genuinely sad to see the back of them unless they pull off a miraculous turnaround, but I just don't see where that would come from at this stage. I think we were their first home game in the Football League. That match was the hoofiest I have ever seen (which is saying something), they must have punted 20-odd balls out of the ground.

Exeter:
Generally like them though relations have soured in recent years with our gamesmanship being the prime culprit.

Hartlepool:
I think the only time I went there was back in 2009 or so, it seemed a pretty deprived neck of the woods, a lot of boarded-up shops and the like. I remember talking to some local in a pub, who was actually really friendly, but then I said I lived in London, he said he used to as well, but he had to move away because there were "too many black people". Ah. See ya.

Leyton Orient:
My local club. I think of the flats around the ground, and why the hell you'd want to live there unless you were an Orient fan. Comedy sugar daddy.

Luton:
I think of the narrow alleys around the ground and what a fabulous place they would be to get beaten up by the local top boys (although to be fair they'd never bother with us as we haven't got a firm). Big Fat Joe Kinnear. "He's short; he's fat; he had a heart attack" etc.

Mansfield:
Keith Haslam. The new shiny blonde chairperson. The Miners' Strike Derby.

Morecambe:
Had a quality night out here one time, getting literally sandblasted in the face at 2am as the sea winds blow the surface sand off the stones. That and the shady locals in the reception of the B&B we stayed in who had treated their Thai brides to a dirty weekend there, and couldn't understand why the lovely ladies were whining about the weather.

Newport:
Can't keep a manager. They had Chris Zebroski in their squad before he got sent down for assault.

Northampton:
Sixfields has that horrible retail park feel to it, although I suppose that's a bit rich coming from a club based on a glamorous industrial estate. Like the strip. I also like us tonking them 5-0 once upon a time, we almost never really thump teams so you have to be a Wycombe fan to understand how rare that is.

Notts County:
I think of the Forest ground being within a stone's throw - also we used to be a big bogey team for them, not so much any more.

Oxford:
The three-sided monstrosity. The Not A Local Derby wherein each side loudly proclaims (though not on here) how little it means to them. Oxford fans throwing coins at Tommy Mooney, then him picking them up, turning round and giving a thumbs up.

Plymouth:
Wasn't expecting Plymouth to be a decent away day but it was. Think the current strip's a bit minging, they should go back to the plainer ones with less white on them - it's good to have unique colours, there aren't enough teams that do.

Portsmouth:
They surely can't stay down here for ever. I wonder if they're losing a generation of fans who can't be arsed to watch lower league football week in, week out.

Stevenage:
It was great to be able to have the moral high ground over those dirty whining pricks who would bend the rules at any given opportunity (the 15 minute feigned injury to go for an energy drink break being the most infamous example)....until we started adopting the same.

Wycombe:
I used to whine about how no-one gave a shit about us as a club, until Cheltenham came into the league, then I understood it totally.

Yeovil:
One of the last clubs I remember that actually managed to get out of this division playing football on the deck, even though it was Keeganian "screw the defence" attackball. Good for the neutral, maybe not for the heartrate.

York:
Keep meaning to get there but never have. One day.

Last edited:

Strawberry_Jam

Reaction score
Supports
Northampton
God, Northampton must be forgettable, that's like the 2nd person that has forgot us.

thewwfc

Reaction score
Supports
Wycombe
God, Northampton must be forgettable, that's like the 2nd person that has forgot us.

it was because the thread was started by an NTFC fan and I just copied and pasted from their original - and they didn't do their own club. Which I suppose is fair enough if the theme is "other" L2 teams, even though I included us. Anyway, fixed it now, although I'm sure the addition will hardly be worth waiting for for a Cobblers fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ben192

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!