Coronavirus

EnglishRed

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
We didn't straight away and it was certainly after the Chinese knew.
Imagine if we knew before the Chinese?

We are through the looking glass here people....

None of these are questions for right now.

John Still

Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham
THEY’RE NOT ’YOUR’ RISKS, THEY’RE RISKS TO VULNERABLE PEOPLE, THE HEALTH SERVICE AND OTHER PUBLIC UTILITIES. FOR INSTANCE YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE ELECTRICITY WITH WHICH TO WRITE THIS SHIT IF TOO MANY ELECTRICAL SUPPLY PEOPLE ARE OFF SICK.

Many apologies for the shouting, but these points do need emphasising. Lots of times apparently.
It’s a pathogen and will never go away, the sooner we learn to live with it the better it’s does far too much economical and mental issues for people than the virus ever will if the answer is always lockdown. If your electricity is going so easily put £5 on your top up card.

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Are you ok Chief? Seem to be having a mini breakdown. You're now quoting things I haven't written.
You replied to my point about people who are not getting vaccines being to blame for the lockdowns. I'm just doubling down on that.

Not really hard to follow unless you've posted around 2000 times since then.

Stringy

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield
The point for me with the way the cases are surging, it's going to lead to many hospitalisations very quickly, irrespective of how many people as a percentage of positive cases actually get hospitalised. If you can delay the spread and flatten the curve, that's not as many folk in hospital at once and you then remove pressure on NHS services.

So it may be tough to hear it but arguing against more restrictions actually leads to more draconian measures. Slow the spread and maintain your freedoms.

SuperHans

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
The point for me with the way the cases are surging, it's going to lead to many hospitalisations very quickly, irrespective of how many people as a percentage of positive cases actually get hospitalised. If you can delay the spread and flatten the curve, that's not as many folk in hospital at once and you then remove pressure on NHS services.

So it may be tough to hear it but arguing against more restrictions actually leads to more draconian measures. Slow the spread and maintain your freedoms.
We have slowed the spread with vaccines. I get what you’re saying but nothing in the current data suggests the NHS is going to be overwhelmed by hospitalisations because of omicron. It may well happen but at the moment I think the right course of action is to stay as we are and review as things progress. Wales and Scotland have made rash choices IMO based on fear.

Monkey Tennis

Reaction score
Supports
Bluebirds
We have slowed the spread with vaccines. I get what you’re saying but nothing in the current data suggests the NHS is going to be overwhelmed by hospitalisations because of omicron. It may well happen but at the moment I think the right course of action is to stay as we are and review as things progress. Wales and Scotland have made rash choices IMO based on fear.

It's not necessarily hospitalisations from Covid that are overwhelming the NHS - the amount of staff testing positive means that an already stretched workforce is decimated. All figures such as ambulance waiting times, time spent on trolleys (ie no bed available) in corridors etc are worse than ever. The problem is even bigger because care homes have no capacity - they can't clear beds because people have nowhere to go.

The future will be less about lockdown and more about regular vaccines - the 'saving grace' is expected to be a pan-coronavirus vaccine that can cope with all variants. But that's a few years off. Our only real hope for now is boosters, which should lead to weaker strains, and asking people to try and cut risks where possible.

And by the way, the data suggests that the rest of the country is just behind the curve and will catch up with London by New Year's Eve or New Year's Day. January is expected to be massively worse than it is now.

Government have been seeking out suitable hospital car parks for field hospitals - yes, the plan is to expand hospital capacity by having the army treat people in tents. In January. Also, they're reviewing mortuary capacity.

Happy Christmas all.

Stringy

Reaction score
Supports
Mansfield

The vaccines have helped break the link between contracting Covid and hospitalisation but it doesn't seem to be reducing how transmissible the virus is. It wasn't that long ago that cases were running around 50,000 per day. Today 106,000 were recorded. If Omicron doubles again I don't find it difficult to imagine a scenario where even if only a third of the numbers for the delta variant are hospitalised, there becomes a big problem very quickly.

I implore you to grab a pen and paper and forecast ahead.

Wooderson

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
It's not necessarily hospitalisations from Covid that are overwhelming the NHS - the amount of staff testing positive means that an already stretched workforce is decimated. All figures such as ambulance waiting times, time spent on trolleys (ie no bed available) in corridors etc are worse than ever. The problem is even bigger because care homes have no capacity - they can't clear beds because people have nowhere to go.

The future will be less about lockdown and more about regular vaccines - the 'saving grace' is expected to be a pan-coronavirus vaccine that can cope with all variants. But that's a few years off. Our only real hope for now is boosters, which should lead to weaker strains, and asking people to try and cut risks where possible.

And by the way, the data suggests that the rest of the country is just behind the curve and will catch up with London by New Year's Eve or New Year's Day. January is expected to be massively worse than it is now.

Government have been seeking out suitable hospital car parks for field hospitals - yes, the plan is to expand hospital capacity by having the army treat people in tents. In January. Also, they're reviewing mortuary capacity.

Happy Christmas all.

Monkey Tennis seems to know his onions, he gets awarded my ‘like’ instead of 2BTF with his quite frankly ludicrous survival rate claims, and as for those of you who Should Know Better and encouraged him with likes (and I have screenshots) I will never forget WHAT YOU DID

TheEndIsNigh

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County
NO ELECTRICITY

So what’s your actual solution then? When cases rise next winter do we shut pubs, restaurants and indoor events again? What about the winter of 2023?

Please advise.

•Get more people vaccinated in the UK , up to 90% rather than the current 70%. How you legislate against vaccine misinformation is above my pay grade.

•Get the world vaccinated, including lower income countries, so there is less chance of variants.

•Get proper ventilation in schools so they’re not sources of infection. Next to fuck all has been done with this.

•Proper sick pay for those who don’t have it. Infected people won’t stay off work for 96 quid a week. ( increased union membership will help with this so employees can actually stand up for themselves at work).

They’re just the start. Experts in the field would have more. We’ve been fairly lucky with this pandemic, the next one might not be as relatively benign. This should be used as a trial run for something more serious, but it won’t.

Gotta say, grown adults saying they’re bored or fed up with pandemic restrictions is one of the most pathetic things I’ve ever read.

Reaction score
Supports
Southend united
Monkey Tennis seems to know his onions, he gets awarded my ‘like’ instead of 2BTF with his quite frankly ludicrous survival rate claims, and as for those of you who Should Know Better and encouraged him with likes (and I have screenshots) I will never forget WHAT YOU DID
I liked what he said ( for once ) get a grip wooderson don’t believe that shit on bbc news. Man up and get on with your life . As you won’t forget what me and some others DID you might as well remember I think your a wanker I will quickly forget what you said

Cashis

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
I liked what he said ( for once ) get a grip wooderson don’t believe that shit on bbc news. Man up and get on with your life . As you won’t forget what me and some others DID you might as well remember I think your a wanker I will quickly forget what you said
Well that's me convinced. Great post well thought out.

TheShayWay

Reaction score
Supports
Halifax
•Get more people vaccinated in the UK , up to 90% rather than the current 70%. How you legislate against vaccine misinformation is above my pay grade.

•Get the world vaccinated, including lower income countries, so there is less chance of variants.

•Get proper ventilation in schools so they’re not sources of infection. Next to fuck all has been done with this.

•Proper sick pay for those who don’t have it. Infected people won’t stay off work for 96 quid a week. ( increased union membership will help with this so employees can actually stand up for themselves at work).

They’re just the start. Experts in the field would have more. We’ve been fairly lucky with this pandemic, the next one might not be as relatively benign. This should be used as a trial run for something more serious, but it won’t.

Gotta say, grown adults saying they’re bored or fed up with pandemic restrictions is one of the most pathetic things I’ve ever read.
Disagree to an extent. You don't know people's personal circumstances. Just because you may be sound of mind. Some people suffer greatly from mental health and anxiety issues. I've got pretty bad anxiety myself and have had my fair share of mental health problems. With the anxiety issue it's easy to gigantasise the smallest things. For example back to the football for a minute. I've already decided that because we are not playing boxing day we are going to the lose the 2 games after that and be 7th.

There's no grounds for me to think that but people with anxiety and mental health issues always just straight to the worst case scenario and build on it and build on it.

A lockdown could be the last thing some need because it gives you large periods of time in your own head.

Some people need something to look forward to that's gets them through week to week. That seems like it's all about to be taken away again.

chief

Reaction score
Supports
Wrexham
Monkey Tennis undoubtedly one of the best posters on this forum. Supports Barrow though so nobody's perfect

jacobncfc

Reaction score
Supports
notts county

Attachments

• BF8A1F50-CD7B-4E68-BA92-F7EDB8E39FF0.png
    BF8A1F50-CD7B-4E68-BA92-F7EDB8E39FF0.png
    348.8 KB · Views: 26

spireite

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield

Agree with most of this. How you get more people vaccinated in the UK at this point though, I have no idea. If people haven't taken it yet I don't think they ever will. I'd like to see a huge public re-education of Covid and the effects that ripple out due to it because the prevailing feeling pretty much across the world right now is pretty apathetic to it all. Boris and his gang of criminals don't help one iota, constantly and unfailing presenting a 'one rule for you twats, another for us' image.

TheShayWay

Reaction score
Supports
Halifax
Agree with most of this. How you get more people vaccinated in the UK at this point though, I have no idea. If people haven't taken it yet I don't think they ever will. I'd like to see a huge public re-education of Covid and the effects that ripple out due to it because the prevailing feeling pretty much across the world right now is pretty apathetic to it all. Boris and his gang of criminals don't help one iota, constantly and unfailing presenting a 'one rule for you twats, another for us' image.
I know someone who's actively choosing not to get one. His reasoning is he won't be told what to do and his immune system is there for a reason.

One way you bring people into line is Vaccine Passports. Controversial yes but there's a big chance most who hasn't had one would be forced into it by a passport simply to just live life.

You can always remove the need for them after the overwhelming majority have had upto and including the booster.

For example my friend is a big drinker. Someone told him he couldnt go into a pub without one I bet he'd soon change his tune.

The examples are endless of what might force peoples hand a little bit.

GTFCfish

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
1640217320710.gif

Wooderson

Reaction score
Supports
Notts County

I wasn’t including you on the list of those who Should Know Better to be honest mate

DN14 Spire

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
Interesting that the same people who cry about the long-term side effects of the vaccine being unknown are happy that there's no severe long-term side effects of Omicron (cos the Mail says so).
Just an observation I've made in a similar vein, amongst friends of mine the same ones downplaying the virus now are the same ones who were sensationalising it at the outset by reposting videos purported to be from China which claimed the virus was somewhere closer to Ebola than flu.

It's a fucked up world we are living in now

John Still

Reaction score
Supports
Dagenham
There will be lots of data out today which will dismiss the need for further restrictions, currently more transmission but far less serious illness with this variant. The people requiring mechanical ventilation in London has fallen hugely in the last 10 days with hospital stays being much shorter. The welsh and scots panicked before real actual data came out and early signs from South Africa were all there that this was less severe.

Time to get on with our lives in 2022, vaccines, anti virals, nose sprays, natural immunity all will take effect now so lockdowns or restrictions not required.

Stoney Ground

Reaction score
Supports
Wealdstone
S

Some valid points, just off to join a Union.
This pandemics time is up the TGWU will stop it in its tracks.

SuperHans

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield

Happy Christmas all.
Good post Monkey Tennis.

So is the real issue that the NHS is inadequately funded and staffed? (Something which is clear as day). Perhaps the Billions of £ spent on track and trace and lining Tory donor pockets with contracts should’ve been spent preparing the NHS for ‘worst case’ scenarios.

SuperHans

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
They also stand there in Downing Street with ‘Protect the NHS’ plastered everywhere, when they’ve done anything but that since coming into power.

Son of Cod

Reaction score
Supports
Grimsby Town
Good post Monkey Tennis.

So is the real issue that the NHS is inadequately funded and staffed? (Something which is clear as day). Perhaps the Billions of £ spent on track and trace and lining Tory donor pockets with contracts should’ve been spent preparing the NHS for ‘worst case’ scenarios.
The amount of money this country wastes is staggering. Two things we could have/should do to pump some money into the NHS are that we shouldn't have decided to spend £100bn on HS2 and we should legalise and monetise weed.
They also stand there in Downing Street with ‘Protect the NHS’ plastered everywhere, when they’ve done anything but that since coming into power.
What are you on about mate, they clapped them for weeks?

Last edited:

SuperHans

Reaction score
Supports
Chesterfield
The amount of money this country wastes is staggering. Two things we could have/should do to pump some money into the NHS are that we shouldn't have decided to spend £100bn on HS2 and we should legalise and monetise weed.

What are you on about mate, they clapped them for weeks?
Clapping on doorsteps was one of the most bizarre points of the entire pandemic. Underfund the NHS, pay those putting their lives on the line peanuts and then stand on your doorstep and clap once a week. Bizarre. It’s like telling someone they’re doing a really good job when you’ve helped put them in the mess they’re in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dazzer

Latest posts

Stronger Security, Faster Connections with VPN at IPVanish.com!

SITE SPONSORS

W88 W88 trang chu KUBET Thailand
Fun88 12Bet Get top UK casino bonuses for British players in casinos not on GamStop
The best ₤1 minimum deposit casinos UK not on GamStop Find the best new no deposit casino get bonus and play legendary slots Best UK online casinos list 2022
No-Verification.Casino Casinos that accept PayPal Top online casinos
sure.bet
Need help with your academic papers? Customwritings offers high-quality professionals to write essays that deserve an A!